Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #1

ABS Light always on

Hi all! Just joined here! I bought a 2001 S2000 a couple of weeks ago.
Verry happy with my new car.

However...

when i bought the car, there was a piece of black tape on the dash, which i only noticed a few days after buying the car. Turns out that the tape was covering up the ABS light. which is always on when the car is running.

i did a bit of testing on my brakes, and they will lock up if you brake hard at about 40mph.

i understand i should take it to honda and get it checked out. what do you guys think the problem would be? gunna cost me loads to fix?
samsamm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

I sorta wish ABS wasn't legally required...

could be all sorts of things though. Is your Engine light on as well or just the ABS one?

are you low/leaking brake fluid? is your ABS controller plugged in?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
-- IBM maintenance manual (1925)
Kalm_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
S2000.com Sponsor

i think you have a case in court against the seller if they were intentionally hiding a potential problem.

i'd speak with an attorney...

turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #4

I would definately take it in and get it checked out. A little scary to think someone specifically covered it with black tape. Sounds like they were hiding something.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosix View Post
i think you have a case in court against the seller if they were intentionally hiding a potential problem.

i'd speak with an attorney...
If it's not too late, take pictures.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Bug Zapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
I would definately take it in and get it checked out. A little scary to think someone specifically covered it with black tape. Sounds like they were hiding something.
Black tape is how you deal with a light when it wont go off! Its straight from the "guide to owning 15+ year old cars" but I think I would get the ABS fixed on a 2001 that I was planning on driving fast.
Marioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Bug Zapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
I sorta wish ABS wasn't legally required...

Its not according to IIHS and NHTSA. I have a 2007 Nissan Versa that does not have ABS. This is probably because they have not found clear evidence that they reduce accidents. 2007 and on requires TPMS and 100% of passanger vehicles will be required to have TSC by MY 2012.

I would halfway assume that if TSC is required that ABS probably be apart of all 2012s as well.
Marioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

thanks for the advice. ill take it in and get it checked out!
the brakes seem to work fine, and dont leak anything on my drive. we'll see what honda says.
samsamm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
Resident Track Whore :)

Low brake fluid will not make the ABS light go on. It will make the emergency brake light go on. Same with brake pads that are just about done. What I have found that will make the ABS light go on is tires that are completely worn out, especially if you are not running OEM tires.

The car is very sensitive to the slightest change and non-OEM tires might not be the same circumference. SO, when they are completely worn out, the tire RPM may be throwing the ABS sensor out of whack. As soon as I bought a new set of tires, my ABS light went off and never came back on.

San Diego Car Club - http://www.sdcarclub.com
Vezna31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #10

I agree with Vez.....this would be my experience with modern abs systems........

but who really cares if your abs isn't active........I'd almost prefer it wasn't.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, abs, brake, constantly, fix, forum, honda, light, lower, make, nissan, pads, s2000, troubleshoot, versa