Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Exclamation Locked up motor, wont start. Suggestions?

Ok. so here's the scoop.

I have a 2001 s2000. car has roughly 120k miles on it... has already had motor replaced at around 45kmiles.. due to a retarded friend of mine leaving a bag of bolts in my air box while we were changing some stuff around.. so wjhen i started it and rev'd.. sucked the bolts in.. yeah.. not good... THAT was before..

Now after the engine replaced by honda..it was a refurb... ive got a length out of it for sure... kinda got old to me, didnt care for it as much as I should have... had ticking noises for awhile.. rough idling.. it would die upon slowing to stops.. sometimes was slow to start back up.. well.. eventually.. the car just died coming to a stop.. and never started again. had to towed to a mechanic.. they said the engine was locked up... had it towed to honda.. they tore the motor down.. pulled the head.. sent it off.. the head is in perfect condition.. he said the tech said it could have been due to a hydro-lock.. cause i had hydroplaned very badly prior to the event.

He said that it appears as if a ring has seized and that basically it needs a new engine, that its done..

what do you guys think? and what would you do in this situation??

car isnt in the best shape .. someone vandalized it the day after it was stuck in a parking lot.. keyed the car.. busted out window.. dented doors.. its a mess... they are quoting me 7 grand for a new engine after labor and parts..
I dont feel the car is even worth it at this point.

Last edited by HollywoodGRAY; 09-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
HollywoodGRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGRAY View Post
Ok. so here's the scoop.
car isnt in the best shape .. someone vandalized it the day after it was stuck in a parking lot.. keyed the car.. busted out window.. dented doors.. its a mess... they are quoting me 7 grand for a new engine after labor and parts..
I dont feel the car is even worth it at this point.
Well... the car is well damaged, and with 120k miles on it. i dont think is worth it to fix it with 7000 dollars.

I would sell it as a parts car, or as you said let the insurance company handle it.

I am sorry to hear your story man. I just had a car accident, i know how you feel. Moving on get another S or something that u like.
Xiaoschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoschi View Post
Well... the car is well damaged, and with 120k miles on it. i dont think is worth it to fix it with 7000 dollars.

I would sell it as a parts car, or as you said let the insurance company handle it.

I am sorry to hear your story man. I just had a car accident, i know how you feel. Moving on get another S or something that u like.

thanks for response.. after speaking to the honda guys.. they brought up the fact of Hydro-Lock.. I started researching it.. it appears as if it should be covered under comprehensive coverage... so i just made a new claim for the engine .. waiting to hear back about it... after all.. the honda tech DID bring up the hydrolock issue... not me.. so I think this might just work out for the best.. i'll let you know how it goes tho
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior Member, Literally

A good reason not to mess with the factory intake.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Bug Zapper

How did the bolts make it through your air filter?
Marioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
(deactivated account)

Quote:
thanks for response.. after speaking to the honda guys.. they brought up the fact of Hydro-Lock.. I started researching it.. it appears as if it should be covered under comprehensive coverage... so i just made a new claim for the engine .. waiting to hear back about it... after all.. the honda tech DID bring up the hydrolock issue... not me.. so I think this might just work out for the best.. i'll let you know how it goes tho
Your research suggests hydrolock is usually covered by warranty? I would have guessed the opposite, since it usually happens because of driving through too-deep water and/or using a non-factory intake. Simply hydroplaning wouldn't do it, since it requires that the engine ingest a lot of water quickly.
rotordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
normal aspiration

The original engine was replaced by honda 'cause bolts got sucked in the intake.

Really?

OP drives a beamer.

LOL.

Likes to think hydro-lock is covered by warranty.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Bug Zapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

The original engine was replaced by honda 'cause bolts got sucked in the intake.

Really?

OP drives a beamer.

LOL.

That was my first thought too. If that is the case its a pretty elaborate story for a Trollster.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiam View Post
A good reason not to mess with the factory intake.
the car is completely Stock performance wise. Only mods are exhaust and full-bodykit/wheels
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcricketta View Post

Really?

OP drives a beamer.

LOL.

the engine wasn't "replaced" .. I had to buy the engine..they put it in.. its not like they covered it.

Well, would you not like to think that if somehow water got into your engine and caused it to permanently stop working.. that ..that should be covered?
It took many months to even connect all the dots and to investigate that this issue is something that CAN be covered. I obviously have been banging my head against the wall trying to get this car taken care of.

If you had never heard of the term "hydro-lock" and didnt know it was an insurance coverable event.. what would you do??

Last edited by HollywoodGRAY; 09-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
That was my first thought too. If that is the case its a pretty elaborate story for a Trollster.

I had a police report done on it.. why? because the night that the engine died my car was vandalized .. I told the police officer at the time what had happened with the car.. and why it was there overnight. This was LONG before I ever knew what "Hydro-Locking" was.

The Honda technicians are the ones who TOLD ME that it had water in the engine.. i didnt tell them that, they took it apart and saw it for themselves.

AND.. I couldnt afford to have the engine broke down right away.. so time passed between it seizing and finally being took apart.. and there was STILL water in it.. inside the cylinder .. how does one make up a story like this.. its banana's !

Thanks for actually reading the story and not being a douche-bag like the other guy.

Last edited by HollywoodGRAY; 09-02-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
How did the bolts make it through your air filter?

I had a friend at the time..that "said" he was pretty good around the engine and what not.. had a shop he was always messin with cars and this was back not long after i first purchased it inlike 03-04 time-frame.. it was a simple procedure.. we were in the process of putting the stock airbox back on after trying out a short-ram air intake he said would fit.. didnt really work out.. so when putting stock air box back on.. im guessing he left a small baggy with like 2 bolts in it inside my airbox.. so when i started the car and revved up.. it was like.. BOOM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotordyn View Post
Your research suggests hydrolock is usually covered by warranty? I would have guessed the opposite, since it usually happens because of driving through too-deep water and/or using a non-factory intake. Simply hydroplaning wouldn't do it, since it requires that the engine ingest a lot of water quickly.
Car is all stock performance-wise.. the honda techs also pulled codes and showed NO signs of over-revving or anything else to explain the issue besides the fact that water was INside the engine and it couldnt compress and bent it. It wasnt "simply" a hydro-plane.. i hit an low spot that immediately slowed my vehicle and sent it into a horrible spin out where i narrowly avoided other vehicles and keeping from going off into the ditch. i think there could have been enough water action going on to cause it.

Last edited by HollywoodGRAY; 09-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #14

Still takes a pretty porous filter to allow a small baggie with "like" two bolts inside it into the intake, past the valves, and then do damage.
rattpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #15

How do YOU figure water got into an all stock engine? Other than taking the car for a swim...
Old 09-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattpak View Post
Still takes a pretty porous filter to allow a small baggie with "like" two bolts inside it into the intake, past the valves, and then do damage.
he left the filter off before he closed the box like a dummy!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #17

Quote:
How do YOU figure water got into an all stock engine? Other than taking the car for a swim...
well Im assuming from the hydroplaning incident, im sure that enough water could have got up into the enginebay somehow to be able to be sucked into the engine.. when I started the car afterwards it sounded boggy and died shortly after
Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Bug Zapper

Quote:
Step 1:

Click the image to open in full size.
Step 2:
Step 3:
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Bug Zapper

Quote:
well Im assuming from the hydroplaning incident, im sure that enough water could have got up into the enginebay somehow to be able to be sucked into the engine.. when I started the car afterwards it sounded boggy and died shortly after
doesnt make sense, you would have had to drive through water at intake level for that to happen with the stock intake. Thats not hydroplaning, thats driving through a creek. Is that what happened? Hydroplane is what happens when your tires lose contact with the road because their is standing water on the street, not when you drive your car through deep water.

Last edited by Marioshi; 09-02-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Step 1:

Step 2:
Step 3:
That was such a great episode!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #21

Quote:
doesnt make sense, you would have had to drive through water at intake level for that to happen with the stock intake. Thats not hydroplaning, thats driving through a creek. Is that what happened? Hydroplane is what happens when your tires lose contact with the road because their is standing water on the street, not when you drive your car through deep water.

I was driving in heavy rainfaill, hit a low spot, spun out in circles and off to the side of the road, which was definitely high with water. From all the research ive been doing so far it seems like it wouldnt take very much water to cause some serious problems, especially if the car was from 2001, seems like it might not be as air-tight as it once was..

Im not the one who presented the fact that water was in the engine. it was a Honda tech. I NEVER knew about hydrolocking.

thats why several months have passed and no repair has been made.. I have been trying to figure out if im going to pay for this thing to be fixed or sell it as parts.. it was only once i went to the bank and started inquiring about loans and such.. that they asked me why.. and i told them the story.. they told me to check with my insurance about it cause they have seen it before..

thats when i asked the Honda guy
"what was the exact reason that you think it has seized up" .. he said "it appears to have been (Hydrolocked)....

a new term that id never known about.. thats why i started researching and ultimately made a claim.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #22

Well good luck with your claim. My '01 doesn't leak any water into the engine when it's rainy by the way, so not sure why you want to hate on that year.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Well good luck with your claim. My '01 doesn't leak any water into the engine when it's rainy by the way, so not sure why you want to hate on that year.
thanks for input. the more I hear ..negative or positive... helps me to figure this issue out.

im not hating on any year bro.. ive had the car since 03.. why would i keep it this long if i was hating on it.. im saying its 10 years old.. it may have not been completely air tight.. Not everyones cars are the same, and im sure you probably took alot better care of yours than I did.. so its possible mine wasnt as good as yours. Im just looking at all the possibilities here.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #24

Quote:
I was driving in heavy rainfaill, hit a low spot, spun out in circles and off to the side of the road, which was definitely high with water.
Did you drive home? If the car started and ran even once after this it wasn't hydro-lock. You'd need water in the cylinders, crank it over, and them boom. If the car started even once, any and all moister would be gone in seconds.

At least that's the way I see it...
Silverstone_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
Did you drive home? If the car started and ran even once after this it wasn't hydro-lock. You'd need water in the cylinders, crank it over, and them boom. If the car started even once, any and all moister would be gone in seconds.

At least that's the way I see it...

i made it about a 1/4th of a mile from incident before it seized up. The Honda tech' stated that ( he found water in the cylinder that was seized, and in other areas of the engine..) . it was shaking violently.. im assuming it bent it slightly and it was somewhat functional still until the point where it finally messed up enough to lock up.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
i made it about a 1/4th of a mile from incident before it seized up. The Honda tech' stated that ( he found water in the cylinder that was seized, and in other areas of the engine..) . it was shaking violently.. im assuming it bent it slightly and it was somewhat functional still until the point where it finally messed up enough to lock up.
Well, that does seem somewhat plausible. But I don't see insurance covering. Good luck though.
Silverstone_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #27
normal aspiration

Bb says:

Unusual set of circumstances.

Lots of bad luck.

Lol.

Sorry about all of your troubles.

Hard luck, and all that.

I hope this never happens to me.

Ta-ta for now.

i's callin' it!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #28
Party Rock Crew

Air tight or not, the box is so high it would be hard to get enough water in the box, through the filter through the pipe and into the intake to lock it up.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #29

I'll let you guys know what happens, I've looked over the policy enough to know that i am covered in the event water gets in the engine.. and thats the situation.. so I dont need to explain it to the rep's .. im sure when the honda guys tell them its due to water, thats gonna be good enough, no matter how crazy the situation appears. Im sure crazier things have happened..
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #30

If you decide to replace the motor on your own dime, check out Engine World. Company out of S. California. Got a JDM 2.2L VTEC motor for my 1997 Prelude for $800, shipped to my home for $150. Replaced it myself and it runs like new. EW rep said their motors have 45K to 60K miles on them.
TchaiKoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #31

UPDATE:

Insurance Rep. has visited Honda to take pictures look at damages.
They found that the spark-plugs had rust on them. There are also various other areas that are rusted. The Honda Tech said that what they found "corresponds" with a Hydrolocked engine. The rep said that all the information was submitted to his supervisor who will look it over and try to come to a conclusion if the water caused the damage..and that since it had been so long they couldnt tell for sure if it was water that caused the damage...since it woild have all evaporated by then..

In the mean-time while this has happened, I finally got the documentation from the original shop that the car was towed to, the day after the incident.. their documentation says.. specifically.. " Engine locked due to water " .. they pulled the spark-plugs and found water inside the engine.... THATS on the paper.. so i called the insurance back and told them about the documentation that I found, and they said they will "pass" it along..

My question is.. if a mechanic looks at your engine... finds water inside in it.. SAYS that the engine is locked up due to water... how the heck do you dispute that??
No to mention that Honda said the exact same thing later.. without me giving them this knowledge AT ALL... coincidence ? I dont think so, water locked the motor...now we will see if the insurance tries to screw me over or not
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #32

Keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #33

Didn't I read about this on another forum as well.....?
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #34

If they honor the claim, they'll likely total the car....especially since you also have a vandalism claim.

tough luck.

Are you sure you should have an S anyway?
Maybe a nice Chevy Corsica or Dodge Stratus would be a more reasonable mode of transportation, aye?

Regards,
Jagg
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
(deactivated account)

Quote:
UPDATE:
My question is.. if a mechanic looks at your engine... finds water inside in it.. SAYS that the engine is locked up due to water... how the heck do you dispute that??
I don't think you can nor need to dispute it. The point of contention then would be whether the damage was due to abnormal use of the car. For example, you should avoid standing water in the road that is deeper than typical puddles. If you go plowing through 2-3 inches or more of standing water, it isn't inconceivable for the motor to ingest enough water through the intake to cause this. I would expect an insurance or warranty claim to be denied in such circumstances, but that's all subject to the T&Cs of your warranty and insurance policies.

If they don't deny it, or even offer partial payment, you're ahead of where I'd expect.
rotordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
S2000.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotordyn View Post
I don't think you can nor need to dispute it. The point of contention then would be whether the damage was due to abnormal use of the car. For example, you should avoid standing water in the road that is deeper than typical puddles. If you go plowing through 2-3 inches or more of standing water, it isn't inconceivable for the motor to ingest enough water through the intake to cause this. I would expect an insurance or warranty claim to be denied in such circumstances, but that's all subject to the T&Cs of your warranty and insurance policies.

If they don't deny it, or even offer partial payment, you're ahead of where I'd expect.
unless you have some bullshit fly by night insurance company, driver error is covered....

now, they might drop you after they pay out, but they're going to pay. that's the whole point of insurance.

turbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #37
Bug Zapper

Yeah, probably they will pay, then drop you, and you will have an at fault accident on your record.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
335i, bmw, engine, good, honda, hydrolock, is, issues, locked, motor, s2000, seized, slow, start, started