Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Technical > Exterior / Detailing / Body Work
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Exterior / Detailing / Body Work Tips and tricks on how to clean the inside and outside of your S2000.
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #1

RagTop Repair

Hello All:

Some SOB cut my ragtop and I was wondering if anyone knew a painless way to repair it. The cut is approximately 1" long and clean. I was going to use a strip of black electrical tape on the inside and a thin bead of super glue on the outside to repair it. Is the any other solution short of replacing the top?

P.S. I own a 2005 S2000, purchase new at South Tacoma Honda in Tacoma, Washington.

P. S. S. The Honda website is touting the latest model as an S2000 CR in the future model and prototype section.

Thanks

Bourne S2000
Bourne S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Resident Curmudgeon

Bourne;
You're thinkin' the same way I'd be thinkin' in way of a fix, although I'd porbably go somethin' like one of those 3" wide 100mph tapes instead of the electrical tape. The stuff's alot more grabby than plain ol' duct tape n' the 3" width gives it more area to spread it's grip over as opposed to the electrical tape. Once the gel super glue (you want the stuff that's more for not perfectly mated surfaces, leastwize that's how I'd go) does what it's supposed to do you can lose the tape n' as a back-up you can reglue the side that had been taped.
'Sounds like you have it under control. 'Sorry to hear about the intentional slice. Watch your back pal. If they did it once, given the opportunity they're likely to do it again.
Be well.
Java

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks Java, the slice was small enough it worked just fine and you can hardly see it.

Bourne 2000

P.S. Like your quote, there is a close one on I-5 near Seattle.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
As soon as I started reading this thread, the first thing that popped into my mind was super glue. There's really nothing I love more than an excuse to use industrial-strength adhesives. That should hold great. The only other option that comes to mind is a vinyl repair kit. You buy it in a color to match your top, mix up the two "goops", then slap a little bit on both sides of the laceration. Wipe off the excess, and let it cure for a few hours, and it looks great. My brother used it on his Miata when his top developed a small rip just above the window. I really think it was only designed for very small tears and cuts though, but might work well to cover any noticeable "scar" left on the outside of the top.

Smart man on the fix.

And sorry to go off topic, but this reminds me of a christmas present I received last winter. The shop I refer all the big powdercoating jobs that I can't handle over to gave me a box with some super glue, curing agents, high temperature race tape, and a little card that said "Thanks for sticking around". It was awesome.

1966 Ford Mustang
2003 Land Rover Freelander
SOLD: 2002 Honda S2000 - Spa Yellow
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #5

RagTop Repair

Thanks Scott! I inferred you do powder coating. Is that you in your work in the picture?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #6

The picture in my sig is me driving the car on the Gainesville Raceway road course. And yep, I do powdercoating on the side. Mostly just small stuff for friends, like valve covers, brake calipers, and such. Not really a business, more of a hobby.

But to get this back on topic, how's the repair holding up so far on your soft top?

1966 Ford Mustang
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #7

Like Scott said-a vinyl repair patch worked for me. actually, a local upholstery/cloth repair guy did the work. he color matched the top and mixed the goop and coated it inside and out. no problems in 3 years. now i have to have him do the same spot on the opposite side. i'm going to look into having the top replaced. i'm going to check a local junkyard for a top. anyone got any other ideas where to go for a new top??
Burnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah Burnsie, I thought about goin' that route (local shop n' vinyl patch), but if you can jus' not let yourself get into the "more-is-better" mindset, n' use the minimal amount'a super/crazy glue, it seems as strong as the rest'a the top aroun' it n', unless you're specifically lookin' for it, it's not noticeable. Though, mine's only goin' on 2 years.
Your headin' to the boneyard lookin' for a top is somethin' most folks don't think of. Usually somethin' only us older fellers consider.
Good luck in your search.
Be well.
Java

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #9

I would have thought salvage yard except how many S2000 have been scrapped so far? Good luck in your quest.

Scott: the patch is holding up well. It was less than 1" and clean so the super glue did the trick. I may have to follow in your footsteps with the industrial adhesives, can be fun.

Bourne S2000
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Resident Curmudgeon

'Can't argue with the logic of Stewie's low numbers providin' few r' no carcasses at the boneyard, but one neva know, do one?
'Sides, even if there ain't locally, the boneyard's r' all 'lectronically tied together now so's it's like a mega-boneyard n' if a there's a Stewie on one site they all know about it.
That, plus the facts that boneyards provide some very interestin' tangents n' more importantly, ol' habits die hard.
But, truth be told . . I gpdda agree with Bourne. The odds'a findin' an intact top r' mighty slim. Mighty slim.
Be well.
Java

Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #11

In all my days of scouring junkyards for cool and unique things, I have only come across one S2000. It was VERY severely totalled, and just about any useful part had already been pulled by the yard owners to resell by itself. This generally seems to be what usually happens when these cars get wrecked.

Where do you think all those "lightly used" spare parts on eBay come from?

1966 Ford Mustang
Old 05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, cost, ford, honda, kit, mustang, rag, ragtop, repair, replacing, rip, s2000, small, top, topp