Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Honda S2000 Forums > Java's Just Drivin'
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Java's Just Drivin' A place to talk about the joys of driving the S2000

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oz S2K

Why hardtop ???

Hello all,

Even if it is cold or raining outside I love using my car with the soft top.

I watched a lot of technical movies that says only roadster which have better performance when the top is closed is porsche boxster. All others (including S2ks) perform better when the top is down.

So, I wonder why some of you use hard tops or buy hardtops?

Is it only for security? Is it only for looks? Enhance handling if it can? I don't know?

I just want to get some reasons of buying one???

Thanks

Last edited by okeles; 04-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.
okeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

It looks awesome. It's safer(people can't cut your hardtop). I don't know if it helps chassis rigidity or anything but I assume it might help aerodynamics a little bit at least. But mostly, it looks awesome. I gutted the soft top and only have the hardtop. So my car is a bit lighter and looks cleaner. I love it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oz S2K

Another point is I love the engine sound.. (mine is a stock S2k)

Although you drive while the soft top is closed, you are not able to hear the engine sound good enough.

The best sound comes out if you get the top down.

I think If you have the hardtop, you decrease the sound level more ???? don't you?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think so. I've gone driving without the hardtop on and off and it really doesn't make a difference. If the windows are down on a nice day, it sounds great.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quieter and a more solid feeling is the biggest reason for me. The S2000's solid feel was good with a soft top, great with a hardtop! Lessor reasons would be lighter(with the soft top removed), extra chassis rigidity, and killer looks. If you love convertibles the S2000 is hard to beat in stock form. If you love coupes(which I do) the S2000 is vastly improved with the addition of a hardtop. But to each his own. I don't fault guys who want to go topless. The S2000 is a great car either way.
Silverstone_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

What he said ^
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I want one because it would allow me into some track events.
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

it's usually harder for me to hear the engine sound when the top is off.
LTWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is peoples car and for many that means they do as they please with it...from looks, to security...it really falls into the same category of modding IMO, to each their own

kgf3076; "You wake up in the middle of the night and look at it parked in the driveway."
s2000isu; "When tq doesnt matter to you anymore."
mike1521; "When every girl you know calls your car "Soooooooo cute!" and it kinda makes you cringe."
ZigZag; "Whenever you see another one and you want it too."
yashooa; "6000RPM red lines seem way too short."
whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Don't cross a magic rope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeles View Post
Hello all,

Even if it is cold or raining outside I love using my car with the soft top.

I watched a lot of technical movies that says only roadster which have better performance when the top is closed is porsche boxster. All others (including S2ks) perform better when the top is down.

So, I wonder why some of you use hard tops or buy hardtops?

Is it only for security? Is it only for looks? Enhance handling if it can? I don't know?

I just want to get some reasons of buying one???

Thanks
If you use gas mileage as a performance indicator my car gets better mileage with the soft top up and still better with the hardtop on.
griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon View Post
If you use gas mileage as a performance indicator my car gets better mileage with the soft top up and still better with the hardtop on.
You'd think better mileage would mean more aerodynamic, but I have no data to support this.

On a similar note, you never see race S2000's without hardtops. I don't know the reason behind this but you have to wonder if a hardtop reduces performance that much then why do race cars use them. Hmmm.....

I have to believe that the performance difference between top up and top down only matters as you get up to insane(and very illegal) speeds. And since 90% of us never get there I just don't think that it matters all that much. That's my $.02 and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by Silverstone_Ryan; 04-23-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

And a hardtop without a softop saves weight and removing the soft top lowers the center of gravity too. The hardtop only weighs about 40lbs. That's nothing. That's about as much as a sunroof assembly on a normal car.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Oz S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP1S2000 View Post
I don't think so. I've gone driving without the hardtop on and off and it really doesn't make a difference. If the windows are down on a nice day, it sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP1S2000 View Post
And a hardtop without a softtop saves weight and removing the soft top lowers the center of gravity too. The hardtop only weighs about 40lbs. That's nothing. That's about as much as a sunroof assembly on a normal car.
Do you have a direct air filter or do you use the S without the air filter cover off? This may be the reason...

Can you remove your hardtop, and use the S2k without both? Thanks

Last edited by okeles; 04-24-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Oz S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone_Ryan View Post
Quieter and a more solid feeling is the biggest reason for me. The S2000's solid feel was good with a soft top, great with a hardtop! Lessor reasons would be lighter(with the soft top removed), extra chassis rigidity, and killer looks. If you love convertibles the S2000 is hard to beat in stock form. If you love coupes(which I do) the S2000 is vastly improved with the addition of a hardtop. But to each his own. I don't fault guys who want to go topless. The S2000 is a great car either way.
This should be the answer

Last edited by okeles; 04-24-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Oz S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebrad25 View Post
It is peoples car and for many that means they do as they please with it...from looks, to security...it really falls into the same category of modding IMO, to each their own
Security is another good reason..

Every owner should be pleased with their own car. They are all right I am happy with that

Last edited by okeles; 04-24-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeles View Post
Do you have a direct air filter or do you use the S without the air filter cover off? This may be the reason...

Can you remove your hardtop, and use the S2k without both? Thanks
I did the airbox mod but I keep the cover on and I don't think it's the reason really. If the windows are down, you can hear the engine fine. Even up you can still here the car. It's not a quite car. And you can remove the hardtop although mine is bolted down so I don't usually take it off.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to smohan123
Looks, safety, you don't need to install a roll bar to go to a track if you have a hardtop, less road noise on the highway, saves weight.

BUT... my car is top down whenever it can be, so I wouldn't ever have a hardtop on unless I was going to Mid-Ohio. Not that I have a hardtop, but if I did.
smohan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
MugenSean2000

Send a message via AIM to _Sean2000_ Send a message via MSN to _Sean2000_ Send a message via Skype™ to _Sean2000_
I want to get a hard top simply because I drive with the top up most of the time and I have always wanted a hartop S2000. I also want the weight reduction that comes with removing the soft top and the motor used to operate it.
_Sean2000_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sean2000_ View Post
I want to get a hard top simply because I drive with the top up most of the time and I have always wanted a hartop S2000. I also want the weight reduction that comes with removing the soft top and the motor used to operate it.
It's quite the job. I spent 7 or 8 hours total. And then I spent another 5 or so doing other hardtop/softtop removal type jobs. It's a lot of work but totally worth it.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sean2000_ View Post
I didn't find the removal all that bad, but I did spend many hours reading everything I could find on the net about removing the interior on the S2000. I think with all the pre-research it cut my actual removal time in half. My top was out in roughly three hours. Then the car sat for a week waiting for the CR side plates that replaced the soft top side plates. You can hack up your original frame and save $100(they are $50ea) but since I wanted the option to put my top back in I opted to go with OEM CR side plates. I wouldn't advise leaving the car without the side plates as they tie the rear bulkhead(and roll hoops) into the side of the car. You risk reducing your roll over protection and I would think a small amount of chassis rigidity without the side plates to tie the whole car together as designed. It's obviously important enough that Honda felt the need to install the blank plates into the CR even though the car is without a soft top.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Cheeziest!

just drive it
2008 S2000 New Formula Red (K&N FIPK; AUT cooling plate; Berk Ceramic coated SS headers; Berk SS HFC; Tanabe Concept G SS exhaust; Hondata toda Reflash; OEM front lip; OEM High wing spoiler; OEM side strakes; Megan strut bar; Eibach Prokit, Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch)
2010 Insight

Enjoy your midlife crisis...you only get one!
MutantCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantCheese View Post
just drive it
+1

2000 Honda S2000 - Aem cai, brian crower complete valvetrain, ported/polished head, JDM motor, RPF1's 17x9 255/40, Led conversions, AP2 exhaust, JDM headlights, key hole covers, lid wing, mishimoto radiator, Berk HFC, Greddy Ti-c, Lowpro aero side diffusers
Gadgetmanconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

i think it adds more aesthetics to the car, although the S already has "it" as is.

one day ill have one, im just in no hurry..
JDMJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Don't cross a magic rope!

It's the "ultimate accessory", at least according to Honda's advertising.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.
griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Hybrid Hater

Im gonna install mine this week so ill put in my .02 when im finished.

Regardless I do think it looks better with a hardtop.
0tyrael0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

^agreed. It definitely catches your eye more with a hardtop and looks a bit more tuner and aggressive and definitely more manly
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

I would personally prefer an OEM hardtop for reasons of better driving visibility which NO ONE ever mentions (for purposes of reversing and checking blind spots), added security (both in theft and vandalism aka cutting top & ability to drive during inclimate weather), weight reduction, and last but not the bit least for aesthetics...

-marco
easy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

I do understand why guys like the hardtop, but the reason I bought my s2000 was to drive topless. I live in Oregon, and I don't drive this car for 4-5 months a year, unless we get a clear couple of days, and then I break it out.

But when it's nice out, I love dropping the top at a traffic light. Or, even more important, putting it back up in 9 seconds when a surprise shower drops on my head.

Like most people say, to each his own.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, bar, buy, doesnt, hard, hardtop, install, mpg, remove, roll, s2000, sas, soft, sunroof, top, work