Honda S2000 | S2000 Forums | S2000 Pictures

Go Back   S2000 Forums > Honda S2000 Forums > Off-Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off-Topic Forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Welcome to the S2000 Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tips for removing kerosene smell from carpet?

Hey guys, today while driving home some kerosene leaked out of my garage heater tank onto the back carpet of my ES. Fortunately my weathertech floor mats collected most of it but a few ounces still were spilled onto the carpet. I've cleaned the carpet with hot water and laundry detergent multiple times and rinsed multiple times. It appears clean but now I just need to get rid of the kerosene smell. It's not overpowering but you can smell it upon entry. Do you guys have any tips for further cleaning and/or removing the odor? I've been told coffee grounds and baking soda so I'll toss some on the area tomorrow.

Thanks!
TheCarGuy2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
General Nuisance

This should take care of those pesky kerosene fumes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zippo.jpg (35.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
General Nuisance

http://www.squidoo.com/Get-Rid-Of-Kerosene-Smell
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Curmudgeon

CG, I don't doubt datt some'a'da smell'z comin' from'da spill area, but I'd suspect datt'da surface'a'da entire car'z prob'ly got some onn'itt from'da fumez.
A good interior cleanin' might jus' remove mos'a whu'cher smellin'.

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.
Java Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the link, Doug. I'll try the coffee grounds and baking soda tomorrow and give the interior a nice once over.

The previous owner was so smoker. I figure if I could get rid of the smoke smell, I should be able to get rid of the kerosene smell too.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
General Nuisance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021 View Post
Thanks for the link, Doug. I'll try the coffee grounds tomorrow and give the interior a nice once over.

The previous owner was so smoker. I figure if I could get rid of the smoke smell, I should be able to get rid of the kerosene smell too.
Years ago, my father spilled about a 1/2 gal of gas on his rear floor during the winter. We soaked up what we could with rags, shampooed the carpets and the car still stunk. The smell finally went away when the warm weather arrived and the car's interior went through a few heat cycles. By June, the smell was completely gone.

Last edited by Doug3; 01-22-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Doug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sometimes I wish I still had my '97 Toyota Tercel beater for making trips that involve mud, dirt, tools, solvents, and fuels. All of the smells in that car cancelled each other out...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
General Nuisance

Quote:
All of the smells in that car cancelled each other out...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

I spilled some fuel oil some years ago, And the local hardware store offered a product specifically for petroleum based liquid spills....powder that absorbed the smell, and worked very well. A little pricy for the size container, but still worth it...
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Got S2000?

Kerosene is pretty volatile, so if all else fails...just leave the top open for a few hours to let it evaporate. (Hopefully that works)
Jim21680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Where the spill took place, continue to place paper towels and a weight on the area as this will abzorb the kerosene from the carpet, makes it easier to reduce the smell.

Baking sode should neutralize the smell, it works for cat odours etc.

Be careful of "solvent cleaners" as this will remove the carpet dye !
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Doug. I'll try the coffee grounds and baking soda tomorrow and give the interior a nice once over.

http://www.autogeek.net/smoke-odor-eliminator.html
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Coffee grounds have been on the area for a day, still too cold to do any serious cleaning.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen a few days ago thanks to the recent storms. I removed the smell of kerosene from my car trunk by mopping up the wet carpet with a towel and letting the carpet dry. Obviously the the kerosene smell was strong. I then put an inch layer of kitty litter over the carpet and let it sit for 24 hours. After that I vacuumed the trunk carpet and heavily sprinkled Pet Fresh carpet deodorizer/cleaner and let that sit for two days. I vacuumed that up, and lo and behold, the kerosene smell is almost completely gone. If I had thought more about the process, I would have first put a thin material like an old sheet over the carpet and then put in the litter, later the Pet Fresh. This would have allowed me to gather up the fabric by the edges and then lift it out of the car to empty it. This have avoided all of the vacuuming.
wisdomlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

i would suggest a small ozone machine on it for 3 days. ozone neutralizes all odors. i would like to have one myself.
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
House of CR.

Repeated applications of baking soda (worked into the carpeting) and left overnight before vacuuming will remove most of the odor. If you have a warm day, lay the carpeting in the sun and this should remove the remaining smell.

named: Tachi, Katana, Wakizashi and Nodachi

2005 LBBP NSX

“Please take good care of your S2000, keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart. And share the quality and legacy of the S2000 with many friends so that the legend of the S2000 will continue for long” – Shigeru Uehara.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM
S2000
Honda S2000

Paid Advertisement

Tags
automobile, car, carpet, carpeting, carpets, kerosene, neutralize, odor, oil, remove, removing, rid, s2000, smell, spilled, spilt